Friday, May 6, 2011

"Loving Others When They're So Unlovable"

Loving others is a simple task. Especially when the "others" are the people that are close to you. Nope, that would be a BIG NEGATIVE! Not only is it hard to love someone unconditionally, but it's hard to make yourself want to love them unconditionally. How am Isupposed to love a person(s) when they have hurt me? Why would I want to love them when they are deceitful? This is something I struggle with daily. So how could we ever love someone like I just described? The answer is Jesus.
The Bible teaches us to first, love God and second to love one another as we love ourselves. (Mark 12:28-31) No matter the circumstance. The Bible also says to "Bless those who persecute you; BLESS and do not curse" (Romans 12:14). 1 Peter 3:9 says, "Don't repay evil for evil. Don't retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and he will bless you for it."
Our God loves us and we are so unlovable. Can you imagine how He feels? We sin and the Lord HATES sin. Our sin consists of: murder, lying, adultery, stealing, coveting, worshipping other gods, idolizing, cursing, drinking, using drugs "recreationally", fornicating, etc..the list goes on! Am I stepping on some toes? Good! None of us are perfect in anyway. I AM NOT PERFECT, in anyway! I sin everyday! But, I do know that my God loves each and every one of us and wants us to put Him first in every aspect of our lives. He wants us to turn from our sin, repent, and ask for forgiveness and start a new journey living for Him. The word "Christian" means Christ-like or little Christs. We are to be like Him.
It's amazing to me how each day God allows us to wake up and live another day, when He could so easily wipe us out because of our disobedience to Him. He could just say, "I'm sick of putting up with your sin and taking it and taking and taking it!" "No more, I'm done with you." Just like we do with one another. But He doesn't! He loves us anyway and He gives us the opportunity to accept Him thru salvation and repent of our sins and live for Him.
 I believe it's only thru the Lord that I can love certain people. I, Amber Lightsey, cannot love the ones who hurt me the most without the Lord loving them thru me. And we are also told to forgive those who have hurt us."For if you forgive men for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions." (Matthew 6:14-15) A dear friend of mine, Luke Johnson, told me that. We know that forgiveness is a necessary element in our response.  When Jesus was on the cross, He said the words, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do” (Luke 23:34). You might think, "Well, He is God and He can forgive, but I can't!" And that’s true. But Scripture teaches that it’s “Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit” (Zechariah 4:6) – it isn’t your strength that can forgive.  The Lord can take our helplessness and do what is impossible for you and me alone.
The Lord put us here to do His work. His work is loving others. "Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love." (1 John 3:16)
The Lord also commands us to pray for our enemies. Prayer is a powerful thing! When someone irritates you, pray for them. Ask God to show them the wrong they are doing; ask Him to help you forgive them and love them. Pray, pray, pray. I take everything to Lord thru prayer. Sometimes I feel like He gets tired of me praying for the same things over and over. Like He's looking down and saying, "Okay Amber, I heard you the first 198,395 times, you can stop asking now!" But even in the garden of Gethsemane, before Jesus was captured, He prayed a powerful, repetitious prayer. Listen to the words that Jesus prayed recorded in Matthew 26:39; “O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.” And a second time in verse 42; “O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.” Verse 44 says; and he prayed the third time, saying the same words. I believe that God desires us to pray about things that concern us, especially about people. So get in your prayer closet, away from your phones, away from any distractions and spend time praying to the Lord about whatever it is that concerns you. "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." (Philippians 4:6)
So ask yourselves,"How am I going to love others, no matter the circumstance?" The only way to achieve this -with the help of Jesus Christ. I pray for each person that has read this, whether this is something you're struggling with or not. Take time out of your day to get on your knees and talk with God. It will change your life. May God bless each one of you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment